Khanqah-e-Moula, also known as Shah-e-Hamadan Masjid and Khanqah, is one of the first mosques to be built in Srinagar. Khanqah is situated on the right bank of the Jhelum river, between the Fateh Kadal and Zaina Kadal bridges. It was first built in 1395 CE, commissioned by Sultan Sikendar in memory of the Islamic preacher Mir Sayyid Ali Hamadani. It is one of the best examples of Kashmiri wooden architecture, and is adorned with traditional papier-mache decor.
Less than a kilometre away, the Khanqah-e-Moula, built in the memory of 14th-century Persian Sufi poet and preacher Shah Hamadan, is busier. The popular shrine stands out with green and golden papier mâché work on its façade. Its architectural splendour is a sharp contrast to the run-down neighbourhood. The two-storeyed building is entirely constructed of deodar wood and bricks with a pyramidal roof. There are elaborate Persian naqashi patterns on the wooden walls, Kashmiri carpets on the floor and antique chandeliers casting a warm glow over kneeling devotees. At the entrance door of the prayer hall hangs a medallion, which devotees rub to seek the blessings of Hamadan.